Tuesday, June 30, 2015

What I Would Bring Back From the '80s


Someone asked the other day, if I could bring back one thing from the '80s, what would it be.

My first thought was a dear friend of mine who tragically died in a car accident in 1989. He was really more than a friend; someone I had hoped to spend my life with. But, as I considered bringing him back, I realized my life would have taken a much different direction, and I wouldn't have the most precious thing in the world...my son. So, I decided, no matter how much I have ached for him over the years, I wouldn't bring this friend back.

Then, I considered bringing back my innocence; the ignorance I enjoyed before life knocked me down, over and over! Again, as I ruminated this option, I realized I wouldn't bring my innocence back either because then I wouldn't realize how strong I am. I wouldn't know how many times I would get back on my feet after life-altering blows. I wouldn't know how to truly enjoy the peaceful, quiet moments that settle in between the challenging ones. While I wouldn't mind being a little less cynical, I don't want to bring back my ignorance.

So, what to bring back then? To be safe, I think I would bring back the carefree beach days I enjoyed in the '80s. Still living on the coast, I don't take the time to really enjoy the beach like I used to when I was in high school. I want to walk on the sand every single day, sun-shining or fog creeping. To hear the ocean waves and smell the salted air takes me back to the '80s, a time before I learned the burden of adulthood.

And then I realized, I don't have to bring these carefree beach days back from the '80s; I can enjoy them right now!

Just out of curiosity, what would you bring back from the '80s?

After sharing, go on over to the Two Writing Teachers website and share your own Slice of Life!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't go as deep as you... I'd bring back the music. But not the hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved the music in the '80s Linsey :-) And, seeing as I had a perm, I wouldn't want to bring back my hair, either!

      Delete