Saturday, June 27, 2015

Super Hero Sounds: Lowercase letter identification and sound recognition

 To make learning meaningful, all you have to do is tap into your child's interests. Taking our children, and students’, interests into account, we create learning environments that are “rich in learning materials and opportunities” and have far-reaching implications for children's academic, emotional and social growth (Sousa & Tomlinson, 2011, p. 118).

So, marrying my son's love of super heroes with letter sound recognition seemed a match made in heaven.  


I started with lowercase letter tiles and a slew of my son's Imaginext figurines:




Once I had the letters and figures lined up, in random order, my son matched each figure to its first letter using sound recognition:






Of course, after he was all done matching the characters to their corresponding beginning letter, we had to embark on an epic battle, during which I was the bad guys and the good guys triumphed!

No comments:

Post a Comment