Monday, June 15, 2015

Preschool Math Lesson: Caterpillar Cut-out Number Sense Activity

I saw this fabulously and fun number sense activity over on F is for First Grade and decided to create my own version :-)

I found all the materials I needed in our school supplies:
  • Caterpillar cutouts
  • Stickers
  • Sharpie
  • Scissors
I started with the caterpillar cutout and cut it into four pieces: the head, the belly, the back, and the tail. 



On each piece, I wrote a corresponding number representation for each of the numbers 1-6. For example, on the head of one caterpillar, I wrote the number 5; on the belly, I had my son place five stickers; on the back, I wrote a simple expression that totals five (2+3); and on the tail, I wrote five tally marks. Then, to make putting them back together a little easier, I separated the six cut-up caterpillars into categories:






As my son put the pieces together, I gave him the freedom to choose in what order he would work. Because he's my son, he went in ascending order from 1 - 6 :-) 




He even had a little helper...


I walked him through the steps for the first couple of numbers, asking him to start with the head, then move to the body, then the back, and finally the "tally-mark tail" :-) He was pretty quick to find each piece, but he did spend a little time on the addition expressions. 


By the way, in keeping with my love of the Depth & Complexity Icons, I try to use the correct verbiage and terminology as often as possible (Language of the Discipline), so when we got to the addition problems, I pointed out that these are expressions, not equations, because there is no equation symbol :-)

Here is a video of my son walking us through the process of putting together his #4 caterpillar:


Once he put all six caterpillars together, we reviewed each representation, increasing his number sense for the numbers 1 - 6. After he practices with these cut-outs a few more times, I will make new ones with the numbers 7 - 12.


If you are interested in learning more about the Depth & Complexity Icons, keep an eye out on my blog because I will be posting an eBook on combining this approach with the updated Bloom's Taxonomy levels. It's been a fascinating journey; one that I can't wait to share :-)

3 comments:

  1. I love this, and even though I don't teach math, I can't help but think about the parallels to writing. We learn to put the pieces together as we compose, too. I just gave my 30-year-old son an adult coloring book (The Enchanted Forest). As he perused it, he discovered that it asks the user to unlock a secret code and to find images that help one unlock the code throughout the book. Seems we're all putting the pieces together throughout our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the connection you make to writing, Glenda, because that is one of my passions! I am always looking for ways to nurture my son's love for writing :-) I will have to look into the Enchanted Forest coloring book because I also love to color!

      Delete
  2. Where did you find those caterpillars? We are using these in EMT class and trying to locate more. These are the exact ones we need.

    ReplyDelete