Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Finding my Way out of the Mud and Muck

I'm a forty-four year old single mother to a five-year old, and I have been having some difficult times as of late! Nothing I feel I should really be complaining about because my son is healthy, my two aging dogs are still with us, and we live in the most serenely stunning place!


One would think, with my years of experience and wisdom, and the life I have been blessed with, I would be coasting, floating even; and yet, I'm still my worst critic, my harshest teacher, the person behind the loudest voice of doubt in my head.



When my perspective on life turns to this cloudy and dark place, one of my outlets is gardening. When I'm turning the soil, planting seeds, tending my little patches of promise, my mind effortlessly works through all the negativity. It's almost as if the motion of working the land exorcises all my demons.

So, this morning when I woke up feeling beat, I took myself outside. As I began pulling weeds and tending my plants, I suddenly identified with the these tiny, yet abundant seeds.


We take these tiny, fragile seeds and plunge them into the dark, mucky dirt. It's here, in the darkest hours, that the seeds sprout. The seedlings can't see a way out, and yet they manage to intuitively work their way through the mud and muck. Some find their way in a matter of hours, others days, while still others take weeks; but they all find their way.


Like the seedlings breaking free from their encasement, pushing up towards the light, I want to live my life with this type of unbreakable faith. I want to know that I am more than the outer shell; I have unlimited potential waiting to break free. And, I want to believe that when I find myself in the dark, murky depths of my mind, because really that's where life's troubles live, I will find my way to the surface and feel the warmth of the sun once again.

I share this today as my little Slice of Life! Visit Two Writing Teachers to read more or share your own slices :-)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this lovely piece of writing. I was really drawn in by your words, and I needed to hear your message myself today! Despite all the blessings in my life, I sometimes get stuck "where life's troubles live (love that phrase)." It's good to be reminded that I can resurface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lori! I'm glad my post was timely for you today :-) I have so often found myself inspired by others' writing. I hope to return the favor!

      Delete
  2. I've been sick a lot lately; it IS hard to focus on the good stuff when the bad stuff is right there in your head! Thanks for sharing. LOVE! Jennifer Sniadecki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you have been sick, Jennifer! I hope you find healing in focusing on the positive :-)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post. I, too, find peace in "tending my little patches of promise." I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Molly! I appreciate your kind words :-)

      Delete