Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Finding my Voice Through Images

To say I have been in a slump the past few weeks is to say rain is wet! I have gone through ups and downs during my life, as we all have, but this low has been particularly challenging, because I don't necessarily feel sad or depressed, just dampened. I can't quite put my finger on why, so it is difficult to bounce back from it.

I haven't written a slice of life, or any blog post for that matter, because I haven't felt inspired; I haven't felt like I've had anything worthy of putting in writing. This is particularly troublesome for me because writing is my outlet, my sanity, my passion and joy. Without writing, I have felt deflated.

So, I decided to reconnect with those things that inspire me, through pictures instead of words...

Of course, there is my little family:


...and nature...


...gardening...


...and watching something grow...


...learning...


...and literature...


I hope these images will help me rediscover my writing voice...

9 comments:

  1. A great way to start. I think each one of those pictures could be a writing prompt. I would love to know more about your little family. The dogs look to be about as big as your son! I bet you have lots of stories about them. And nature- so much beauty to wonder about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, thank you for your encouraging words! Yes, my dogs and my son are true inspirations. My male dog, the shepherd mix, is experiencing health issues right now, which may be contributing to my dampened mood, but I try to focus on the fact that each day I have him, I am grateful :-)

      Delete
  2. Great ideas!! This is exactly how I hope to inspire my students at the beginning of the year - making a photo collage of things that are important to them. I hope it will inspire you. Looks like you have a lot of great things to write about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, Lauren! I think having your students compile a photo collage to draw inspiration from is a wonderful way to help pique their interest in writing :-) I will follow suit and create a photo collage of some of my favorite images!

      Delete
  3. You're on the right (write?!) track. Fill your well and honor the dry spell--it has it's own purpose. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! Love the play on words, Lori :-) And, you are right, this dry spell is giving me the time and space to replenish! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Yes, and your writing, and this community will fill your bucket and urge you on. Keep finding those moments - any moments to write about and they will flourish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement! I think I tend to forget that it's the small moments that make for the richest writing experiences; hence, slice of life :-)

      Delete
  5. It has been awhile since I have stopped by. I hate hearing about your dampened spirit but I love seeing your pictures. I hope things will be brighter soon.

    ReplyDelete