Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Revisiting the Fine Art of Re-purposing

Last year, I wrote a Slice of Life post about re-purposing students. This morning, my son showed me his fine art of re-purposing...

After breakfast, my son and I found ourselves immersed in drawing flowers. With trees and plants budding all around us, we felt inspired...





I finished my own drawing, complete with stem and leaves (I've never been much of a realistic artist, more of an impressionist :-)...


You'll notice my son added a couple of his own leaves to my masterpiece!

He then continued on with his...






As I watched him draw his sunflower, I realized his petals resembled something very familiar...


...so I asked him what they were. Here's what he said...


My son had taken a seemingly simple art project and turned it into a lesson on literacy.


What I learned was the moment we allow our children and students the freedom to explore their own learning, we learn right along with them. Not only had my son re-purposed art into literacy, he re-purposed the teaching-learning paradigm ... suddenly, I had become the student :-)

I instantly knew this was a Slice of Life!

On a silly note, he also re-purposed my boots into Sai holders...




2 comments:

  1. We have sais in our house! Is he a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fan? We love them in our house. Mikey cracks me up. I love how creative kids can get when we let them. My kids love paint especially. They could go on for hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, thanks for stopping by! Yes, my son is a HUGE TMNT fan :-) His entire room is ninja turtled out! He hasn't gotten into painting just yet, but we are working on it. He would rather battle and wrestle.

      Delete