Thursday, January 1, 2015

Finally, My "One Little Word" for 2015

I've been seeing the acronym "OLW", the phrase "one little word", and their respective hash tags over the past few months. With the surge in references peaking this past week, I finally headed over to Ali Edwards' website to figure out, firsthand, what all the fuss was about!

One Little Word, as it appears most of the blogosphere already knows, is a self-reflective project started by Ali Edwards, in which you choose one word to focus on for the coming year. This would explain the influx of references I've been seeing in the waning weeks of 2014.

Simple, right? Not really!

I kept mulling over, considering, discarding, and reconsidering a slew of words: hope, light, service, confidence, abundance. All worthy words, but none felt right.

Then, I stumbled across a blog post, one word, that helped give me focus in my quest for my own OLW! In this post, Leigh Anne offered three questions from the book, "One Word That Will Change Your Life":

  1. What do I need?
  2. What's in my way?
  3. What needs to go?

Pondering these questions, I found my very first OLW: Imperfect!


My whole life has been about perfection: being the perfect daughter, student, sister, friend, teacher, and now, mother. I'm certainly not saying I've come even close to being the perfect version of any of these roles, but I have strived! And, it's been absolutely exhausting!

While pondering the three questions above, I realized I need to give myself a break. I need to be kinder, gentler, and more patient with myself. I need to take some of the pressure, some of the weight, off of my shoulders, because these shoulders have bore a lot in recent years! I need to accept that I am an imperfect person, and that's okay :-)

So, my focus for 2015 is to embrace, even celebrate, imperfection!

2 comments:

  1. Your post is a beautiful reminder to us.
    Great OLW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Loralee! I appreciate the encouragement :-)

    ReplyDelete