Tuesday, December 30, 2014

25 Nights of Christmas Books: Nights Thirteen Through Eighteen

For today's Slice of Life, I want to share six mini-slices:

As a child, I always felt that the holiday season flew by. I remember waking up every December 26th under a blanket of sadness, knowing that my favorite season had come and gone. Even as a young child, it wasn't about the promise of presents and new toys, though we always enjoyed a bountiful booty on Christmas morning, because toys are temporary. The excitement of opening up gifts and the novelty of playing with a new toy last only a moment, whereas, the magic of the season lives on in memory. 

For as long as I can remember, I craved the magic and nostalgia that the holiday season brings: family get togethers, where all us kids would dance and sing while our uncles strummed their banjos; gathering around the table on Christmas day to make tamales; and long drives in search of Christmas lights. 

Now that I am a mother, the holidays seem to speed past even quicker! In an effort to slow things down so my son could enjoy the magic of this season, I began our "25 Nights of Christmas Books", where each night we read a different holiday-related story. 

I've already posted about nights 1-6 and nights 7-12, so here are nights 13-18 ~

Night 13: King of the North Pole and Frosty the Snowman


We read two books tonight because, between you and me, I am not a huge fan of "King of the North Pole", but it's one of my son's favorites so we read it every year. As a preschooler, I understand its value, the simple verbiage and repetition help develop my young son's literacy, but as far as Christmas stories go, bah humbug :-) 

I chose Frosty the Snowman to read after because I thought it would be a quick and easy read, or "sing". However, my son insisted that I don't sing the story but rather read it. Have you ever tried to read a well-known Christmas carol? It was very difficult! After I finished reading the book, we then had to sing it...twice!

Night 14Thomas' Christmas Delivery


Not so much a fan of Thomas the train anymore, my son is still a fan of this Christmas story because it amazes him that the trains actually enjoy the coal Santa leaves in their stockings! Ha Ha! He's very concerned that Santa might leave him coal!

Night 15Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve


As I've shared in previous posts, Jan Brett is one of my favorite children's book authors! Her ability to review, preview, and present new content in stunning illustrations on every page is astounding! "Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve" combines tradition, drama, and friendship. There's even a "little kitty" in this story ;-) I have to set aside a large chunk of time for this book because my son loves to take himself on a picture walk, before and after I read the story! He discovers something new in the illustrations every year.

Night 16Pocket's Christmas Wish


Pocket's Christmas Wish presents the meaning of Christmas through the eyes of a little snow bunny. While his siblings are out skating on the frozen pond, Pockets searches the forest for the true meaning of Christmas, and finds it, in all things, a carrot!

Night 17The Legend of the Candy Cane


This book is just full of magic and wonder! Opening up a candy shop, the store's proprietor shares the meaning of Christmas through the story of the candy cane! Another one of my favorites for the sheer pleasure of taking a visual walk through its pages.

Night 18A Chipmunk Christmas


For some reason, this was the year my son developed an interest in the Chipmunks. Every time I asked him what he would like to listen to, it was one of the Chipmunks' carols, so my mom bought him this book. In true Chipmunk fashion, there is misunderstanding that leads to a heartwarming ending :-)

Tomorrow, just in time for the end of the year, I will share our final seven Christmas books. In the meantime, if there are any Christmas books or traditions you would like to share, please do :-) 

You can also make your way over to Two Writing Teachers and share your own Slice of Life:


4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of 25 nights of Christmas books, and from the looks of the pictures, your little guy did too! I always hate it when Christmas is over. I keep my decorations and tree up until New Year's Day. I guess that is the tradition I will share today. Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leave our decorations and tree up until the New Year, as well, Leigh Anne :-) Last year, we cut our own tree and it lasted until February. We moved it outside, of course, but we kept water in it.

      Delete
  2. I love this tradition. Wish I had known about it when my boys were younger! You are making memories that will last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! Having my son so late in life, I think I take things a bit more slowly because I know how quickly his childhood will pass. I try to savor every moment :-)

      Delete