Tuesday, August 12, 2014

First Sign of Autumn


We found our first sign of Autumn this morning: a mini-pumpkin growing under the protection of its leaves. The discovery made me nostalgic, as do most things about Autumn.

Autumn has always been my favorite season, though I've never really sat down to write why. It could be because I love back-to-school time, or the fact that a new football season is upon us, or even because tourist season comes to an end and we get to enjoy our beach again without all the crowds.

But, what it really comes down to is the feeling that Autumn brings; it's like coming home after a long trip away or slipping into comfy pajamas after a long, taxing day.

I have most of my fondest memories during Autumn: going shopping with my mom and sisters for that coveted first-day-back-to-school outfit, bundling up for the first chilly morning, bringing my parents to my classroom for open house and peering out the windows into the night, trick-or-treating around the neighborhood with my mom, and watching Sunday football with my dad.

I love Autumn and the nostalgia that follows, so this first sign of it is a welcome sight :-)

Share your Slice of Life at Two Writing Teachers

10 comments:

  1. Although autumn is my favorite season, I am not quite ready for it yet! Still have some pool days left in me! I just can't let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh Anne! It's nice to "see" you again :-) With all the prep and moving work you've had to do over the summer, I can understand you wanting to enjoy a few more days of it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love autumn, too! Maybe because my birthday comes in the fall, but surely also because of chaning leaves and memories of my family taking drives to see the trees turning, and because of all the fabulous apples that were ripe in the fall and all of my mom's yummy pies! I have so many great family memories for fall, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your memories, girlgriot :-) I visited Boston one year during Autumn and absolutely loved the nippy air, apple picking, and leaves changing. I should have included that in my post!

      Delete
  3. It's good to get your reminder of the good things about fall. I'm always a little sad as the days get shorter, but it's a cozy, comfortable time of year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Ramona! On one hand, I enjoy the crisp, early Autumn evenings, when we can light a fire in our fireplace, but I also miss the late, lazy days at the beach. I suppose if the seasons didn't change, we wouldn't be able to appreciate the differences each one brings :-)

      Delete
  4. So hard to think of autumn while we are settling into the heat of August, which will run into September and October as we switch venues. Fortunately, it will eventually arrive. Thanks for the reminder of what is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristi, we are enjoying some unusually warm days here on the Central Coast. September and October are two of my favorite months for weather because we have the best evenings :-)

      Delete
  5. There are joys in every season. Just when we begin to grow weary of the current season, a new one begins to creep in and give us something different to enjoy. Love the little pumpkin hiding under the leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the exact same way, Elsie! I'm so grateful we have changing seasons; it's refreshing :-) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete