Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Reaching New "Heights" in Reading

I have always wanted to be one of those people who love reading classic literature! I tried my hand with Charles Dickens' David Copperfield and Homer's The Odyssey but could never get past the linguistic character and punctuation-laden wordiness of the sentences. I spent so much time trying to decode what was happening, that reading these titles just weren't enjoyable.


So, I gave up! I stuck with modern literature, enjoying many a book, spanning adult literature to YA to children's picture books.

But, always nagging at the back of my mind was the desire to read something from another era: Sense and Sensibility (no, I haven't read it, nor have I seen the move!) or Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, or Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities (yes, I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read this one, either :-).

When my sister presented me with a box of books that she was discarding (by discarding, I mean donating), I came across Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, another title on my Dream-to-Read list! I couldn't resist the urge to give it a try. After all, when books find me, I tend to obey!


After getting through the first couple of chapters, I was absolutely hooked! Heathcliff, though disturbingly wretched, drew me in; I wanted to know more about this man, which is what kept me going through Nelly's narrative. I have devoured this book and, with only one chapter left, am stalling my departure from Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange.

Reflecting on my journey to this classic is my Slice of Life today, and yet another excuse to put off reading the end! Once I am officially finished, I will reflect on my thoughts and feelings about the book in a blog post for the reading challenges in which I am participating.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found one you love! There are others - keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana! I think I caught the bug because I found myself thinking in the dialect used in Wuthering Heights :-) I think I will try Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms next!

      Delete